Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Please do not wake me

I am back from spending a wonderful weekend away. The last two weeks have been incredible. So much has happened and yet part of me feels that nothing has changed. I promise that I will fill in the gaps from this period over the next week or so.

But as requested in emails and comments let me tell you about my weekend!

My husband and I went away together. We went to my home town, the town where I grew up. The town we first met and fell in love. The town in which we shared so many happy moments and created wonderful memories.

There were times over the weekend when I experienced bittersweet feelings. It was like I had time warped back to the start of our relationship, and all the hurt and pain seemed to disappear. But then there were times when I realised that we were there trying to reconnect after the most horrendous 18 months.

But I am excited to say that the weekend proved to be a period of rediscovery for both of us. We did so many things together and had an absolutely wonderful time.

We communicated to each other on a level that has not existed for what seems to be an eternity. We learnt new things about each other and also about ourselves as individuals.

We drove past my old house that I lived in when we first met. We drove past the first house we lived in together. We drove past our favourite spots and reminisced about the really good times that we shared.

Without my knowledge my husband had organised for our children to be looked after and he took me out for dinner. We had the most amazing evening. He took me to one of our favourite restaurants on the harbour's foreshore that we often went to whilst living in my home town.

We sat and drank a beautiful bottle of wine whilst watching the gorgeous pink and orange colours of the sunset as the ships entered and left the harbour. The cityscape painted the perfect picture with the gorgeous night lights reflecting off the beautiful blue water of the harbour and beach.

After dinner my husband and I walked hand in hand along the beach. It was a perfect night for walking along the water's edge. The water was beautiful and warm, and the breeze was a perfect temperature, not cold, but crisp and cool whilst blowing against our faces.

We strolled along the breakwall to the lighthouse that was lighting up the night sky. My husband turned to me and held me tight. He looked down at me whilst holding my face in his hands. He had tears in his eyes and he said something along these lines to me :

"I am so sorry for the pain that I have caused. I realise now how much I love you and never wanted the marriage to end. I thought you would never forgive me and what I have done to you."

"Let me be the lighthouse that guides you through these stormy waters, the same way you have guided me the last 4 months. Let me be the light that lights up your heart and your life. Please let us have what we had before."


He then kissed me. He kissed me so passionately, as though it was the first time he had ever kissed me. I felt the flutters in my stomach. It was an amazing feeling. Even now when I think about that kiss, I still feel the flutters.

I am still in a daze after the last 2 weeks. Everything feels so surreal at the moment. I have this underlying fear that I will awake and realise that this was a dream. I keep pinching myself, and asking myself "Is this happening? Is this REALLY happening?"

This dream is providing me with peace, a feeling I have not felt for a long time. I feel comfort. I feel security. I feel loved. I feel wanted.

If I am dreaming please do not wake me.

13 Comments:

Blogger feduptonoend said...

I am so happy for you. Sometimes just "getting away from it all" is all you need. I also had a weekend getaway and felt alot of the things you did. Follow your heart, it knows best!!

Tue Oct 03, 01:57:00 pm AEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Honey I am SOOOOO glad to hear you guys did this. Maybe a getaway of some sort now and again is something you can implement into your relationship to keep the sparks flying...it seemed to work!!
It is nice to hear the joy in your post!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 03, 09:36:00 pm AEST  
Blogger kissmekate said...

Hey Mac,

He has just told me at dinner tonight not to plan anything for this coming weekend. He has organised another weekend away but won't give me details!

Tue Oct 03, 09:44:00 pm AEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the trip did it's trick, you really do sound so much better and I am very glad you weathered the storm Shattered.

Tue Oct 03, 10:05:00 pm AEST  
Blogger kissmekate said...

Anon you are absolutely right and at this stage I am not convinced. I am still struggling with everything. I have not taken him back. My guard is still well and truly up and will not be coming down in the foreseeable future.

A weekend away has not blinded me. I am not naive thinking that this fixes everything. There needs to be much more than a weekend away, a kiss and some words.

There is no trust at the moment. There is still indecision and doubt. There are still raw wounds.

I am not jumping back in the ring until I am certain that things are changing and will be different. I will only wait so long for this, but if there are no changes evident then I wont get back in the ring at all.

Tue Oct 03, 11:27:00 pm AEST  
Blogger S* said...

It's great to hear you happy, but really, unless Husband has agreed to get some counseling to discover why he's cheated on all three of his wives, I'd really caution you about getting re-involved with him. I'd HATE to have to read a Totally Shattered Again blog.

Oh, you just commented as I was logging in. Glad you're keeping perspective and using your head about this.

Tue Oct 03, 11:28:00 pm AEST  
Blogger mt_detroit said...

I hope the best for you, but I fear the worst. How many chances has he had to learn yet he continued to cheat on you.

Now he is a changed man? Maybe he has ... maybe this is the start of a great life together.

But maybe he learned that he needs to try harder to not get caught. And even if he does you'll always take him back.

Tue Oct 03, 11:33:00 pm AEST  
Blogger kissmekate said...

Thanks for your comments guys.

S* he has made some amazing inroads into his behaviour. He has also gone to a counselling session with more to come.

Mt detroit he KNOWS he will never get another chance. He also KNOWS that he has not won me back yet.

There is a long way to go before I commit. I will not allow myself to have to make that post S*. I am not blinded or taken by a weekend.

Tue Oct 03, 11:37:00 pm AEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it is good to keep perspective for sure. You and YOUR KIDS deserve this second chance. You should try UNTIL there are no other options...and that I believe it what you are doing. Good for you for not granting innocence, but fighting for what is rightfully your family's. If more people tried this hard instead of throwing in the towel at the first sign of trouble the divorce rate would not be what it is today. Bravo...and about another broken heart...if that happens, at least you can hold your head up this time to say YOU did everything possible for the preservation of your family!! Counseling is key I believe...I would REQUIRE that at this point if he wants to be with you!!
ALL MY BEST!!

Wed Oct 04, 12:25:00 am AEST  
Blogger Determined said...

Hi Shattered,
I'm glad you and hubby are doing lots better. But you know that you have to put in your part and work on this as well, right? You can't let him to do all the work.

Now here's a joke: In case things don't go well, I have a new title for your blog:
How about "Totally Disenchanted, Cracked & Destroyed Beyond Recognition" -A Broken-Hearted Blogger's Complete Tale-Tell Nightmare'
:)

By the way, thanks for the invite, girl.

Wed Oct 04, 12:47:00 am AEST  
Blogger Weekends Off said...

I'm glad to hear that you had such a nice get-away and that your husband and you had a chance to connect....I'm also glad that while you allowed yourself to enjoy this time with him that you are still on guard of your heart.

Who knows, with more positive baby steps like these you may find a way to re-build...and if that is what you want then I want it for ya!

Good luck :-)

Di

Wed Oct 04, 01:16:00 am AEST  
Blogger Karin's Korner said...

Shattered...follow your heart honey, that is all you can do. I was married for almost 20 years, after the 3rd year my X cheated on me. I forgave him but it took a long time to forget, eventually the hurt and pain go away and you will forget...at least most days. My advise to you, if you want it is: Don't throw it in his face constantly. He knows he did it and you know he did it, make sure he remembers that he HURT you more then you ever thought you could be hurt and really, it is ok to fall in love with him again. I finally divorced my X but it had nothing to do with him cheating on me (maybe subconciously, I was getting him back by leaving and therefore hurting him, but I don't think so ;). Keep your chin up, and good luck to you.

Wed Oct 04, 02:37:00 am AEST  
Blogger kissmekate said...

Oh guys thanks so much for your support. I have tears running downm my face at the moment.

This is still really tough for me. I am still extremely confused and hurt.

Mac counselling is a definate. There is individual and couple counselling happening. We have been for another appointment and there will be more to come.

He is making major changes. He has ahd a period of looking deep within and the realisations are huge. Do I doubt him....yep! But I think after I have been put through the wringer I have that right.

Solaris I love the new title! Let's hope that it never has to be changed.

Di - both of us realise that baby steps are the way to move forward. He realises that it is going to take me years to completely trust him. He also understands that I cannot give myself completely at this stage. He is very understanding with this.

karin - he won't get another chance. Thanks for your advice. It is very hard to not throw it at him but he also understands that I will have days where I do vent. He has been told by a psycologist that he needs to cop it sweet on those days. But I am conscious of this and will certainly not use it against him.

Thanks again for your words of support and wisdom!

Wed Oct 04, 08:26:00 am AEST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cell Phones
YouNeverCall